All the settlers in your towns have jobs. A job is like a class in a role playing game. Each job has a specific role, like hauling materials, building, crafting, and fighting. As your citizens work at a job, they will gain experience and levels. Some jobs, when they meet certain prerequisites, can upgrade into entirely new jobs with new capabilities.
To assign someone a new job, you will need to craft a tool for them. For instance, the Mason can craft blocks, statues, and tools from stone, but to do it he'll need a mallet and chisel crafted by the Carpenter.
Currently implemented jobs (as of Alpha 21.0.0):
Tier 0 Edit
- Worker: This is the default job all citizens start with. It allows them to perform basic tasks like hauling stuff around, constructing buildings, mining, and harvesting resources, e.g. gathering berries and chopping down trees to collect wood. They cannot harvest crops, but can haul them once harvested by a Farmer.
Tier 1 Edit
- Footman: This classification is the first and only currently available class of warrior. They can be equipped with armor and weapons, and are tasked with defending your settlement. Promotion to Footman requires a Wooden Sword, crafted by the Carpenter.
- Herbalist: Hearthlings with this speciality can create various potions and bandages in a Herbalist Lab. Promotion to Herbalist requires a Herbalist's Staff, created by the Carpenter.
- Blacksmith: This classification allows the citizen to smelt Ingots, craft weapons and armor for your soldiers, and craft the Carpenter's Saw and Trapper's Knife (needed to promote a worker to a carpenter or trapper). Promotion to Blacksmith requires a Blacksmith's Hammer, crafted by the Mason.
- Carpenter: This classification allows the citizen to create wood furniture, building parts, and tools and weapons needed to promote workers to many jobs. Promotion to Carpenter requires a Carpenter's Saw, crafted by the Blacksmith (Alternatively, The Ascendancy always starts with one).
- Mason: This classification allows the citizen to create tools, furniture, and various structures from stone. One is needed in order to forge a Blacksmith's Hammer. For The Ascendancy, Masons are a Tier 1 job. However, for Rayaa's Children, Mason is a Tier 2 job, and requires a level 2 Potter.
- Farmer: This classification allows the citizen to plant crops. In addition to being a primary source of food (along animals caught by the Trapper), certain crops can also yield raw materials for crafting, as well as decorative flowers. Promotion to Farmer requires a Farmer's Hoe, crafted by the Carpenter.
- Trapper: This classification allows the citizen to lay traps to catch wild game, such as rabbits, producing jerky (which the citizens can eat) and pelts (needed by the Weaver for some crafting recipes). Promotion to Trapper requires a Trapper's Knife, forged by the Blacksmith.
- Weaver: This classification allows the citizen to make crafting materials (Bolt of Cloth, Bolt of Leather, and Spool of Thread), clothing and armor, decorations, and toys. Promotion to Weaver requires a Weaver's Spindle, crafted by the Carpenter.
Tier 2 Edit
- Archer: These hearthlings wield a bow and can attack hostiles without taking damage, as long as another heathling is taking the punch. Promotion to Archer requires a level 3 Footman and an Archer's Bow, crafted by the Carpenter.
- Knight: These tough soldiers are focused on defense and can keep hostiles at bay while your other units deal more damage. Promotion to Knight requires a level 3 Footman and a Knight's Shield, created by a Blacksmith.
- Cleric: Hearthlings with this classification are great healers and support classes, healing and buffing hearthlings around him. Promotion to Cleric requires a level 2 Herbalist and a Cleric's Tome, crafted by a Herbalist.
- Engineer: This classification has the Hearthling producing various mechanical contraptions and defensive mechanisms, such as turrets and traps, and other useful gadgets. Promotion to Engineer requires a level 2 Blacksmith and an Engineer's Wrench, crafted by a Blacksmith.
- Potter: This classificalion allow the Hearthling to produce many decorations and buildings materials from clay. For The Ascendancy, Potter is a Tier 4 job, requiring a level 4 Mason. However, for Rayaa's Children, Potter is a Tier 1 job. Promotion to potter requires a Potter's Cutter, created by a Mason (Alternatively, Rayaa's Children always start with one).
- Cook: This classification allows the citizen to create more advanced meals and decor that increase moral. The Cook's Spoon, crafted by a Mason, is required along with the Hearthling being at least a level 2 Farmer.
- Shepherd: This classification allows the citizen to domesticate wild animals and harvest them for food and materials. ("Gather sheep which spawn randomly and bring them back to your pasture.") Promotion to Shepherd requires a level 2 Trapper and a Shepherd's Crook, crafted by the Carpenter.
Planned for inclusion in future updates:
- Animal Trainer
- Big Game Hunter
- Magma Smith
- Miner: This classification allows the citizen to mine and create tunnels and caves.